« Mine, Mine, Mine | Main | Penny Lane »
Monday
Jan162012

Chalkboard Labels

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to go back to work tomorrow, but I can already tell it's going to be a challenge this time around.  It's been a fun three-day weekend, and I've made quite a bit of progress on the Penny Lane project I mentioned a few days ago.  You'll never believe what I found to use as my "canvas," especially when you find out how much I paid for it!

But that's a story for another day.

Hopefully I'll be finishing up the Penny Lane project next weekend, but in between paint coats I was able to work on another small project this weekend.  While I was cleaning up my laundry room, I decided to bring the big jars (that I turned into a holiday centerpiece last month) in and use them to hold my laundry detergent. But, that left me with the problem of not knowing how to identify the different soaps that I have.

I didn't want to run to the store to pick up any supplies, so I started looking around my house for something that might work.  At first I thought about just using a post-it note until I could come up with something more permanent, but then I stumbled across some envelopes from an old stationary set that I had.  I didn't have many of the matching cards (since I used them at my friend's bridal shower a few months back), so I figured this would be a good way to put them to good use.

Out in the garage I had some leftover chalkboard paint from when I made my message board last summer (seen here, here, and here), and from when I made the chalkboard ornaments for Christmas. I'm finding that chalkboard paint goes a long way...and thank goodness!

By simply painting the back side of the envelope with the chalkboard paint, here's what I eventually wound up with...

Now this project wasn't too complicated, so I'll just do a brief run-through of how everything came together.

These were the supplies I used...

...Before painting the envelopes I folded the decorative edge to the front side of the envelope.  This made it so the print was touching the front side of the envelope, which protected the print from the paint.

...I found that it was easiest to just do one thick coat, rather than multiple thin coats since the paper becomes wet from the paint.  Once the paint was on it took about 30 minutes to dry.

When the paint was dry, I used an extra envelope to test the placement of the punched holes.  Once I found the placement I liked I used the test envelope as a template for the painted envelopes.  

Using the template made it easy to keep the hole placement in the same place for each envelope, which is pretty important if you're planning to use the labels with a group of items.  If you're using the label on an item that stands alone, it probably is not necessary to make a template.

Here's what they looked like when they were all dry and punched...

...and once I tied a bit of raffia around the jars to hold them in place, here's what they looked like finished.  Oh, but before you look, let me remind you that these labels came with a whopping price tag of $000,000,000,000.00 (that's a whole lot of 0's)!

 

The best thing about these labels is that it will be easy to change them as the contents of the jars change.  We're usually not too picky about our brands around here (since we just go for whatever is on sale), so the likelihood of us using Tide with Bleach for the rest of our lives is very slim.  But the fact that we can simply erase the words and rewrite the labels makes these labels perfect for our ever-changing preferences!

So tell me about your weekends!  Oh, and if you have any words of encouragement to help get me back in the "zone" for work tomorrow, that would sure help me out too.  Hopefully, something will trigger by the time I make the commute, right?

I am excited about tomorrow though...but for another reason.  Mark and I will be doing some Craigslistin' after I get off, and it should be pretty interesting.  This item we're about to pick up will be one of the few items that won't fit in our Jeep, so we're thinking we're going to have to strap it to the top of the car.  Here's hoping we're successful!  I promise to take some pics to share.

 

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 

 

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (2)

Kelli,

Have you tried to make your own soap? I have found recipes in books and on line and it works fine. Give it a try; you may be surprised.

Maureen

January 17, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMaureen

Hey Maureen,

I've seen some recipes floating around on Pinterest, but so far I haven't tried them. It's good to hear that they actually work, because that was one of my main concerns. I think when my Tide is gone I'll give it a try!

bfn, Kel

January 18, 2012 | Registered CommenterAHPCH

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>